Setting up a canon printer is quite an easy task, and the complete process is covered in very few steps that are quite simple to follow. However, before you continue setting up your printer, you need to make sure of the requirements you are fulfilling. This guide will cover various methods to help you set up your Canon printer and help troubleshoot the errors that occur while you connect your printer to your computer and set it up for the first use.
Downloading The Canon Printer Driver
Before you start setting up your printer with your computer, you need to make sure that all the required drivers for your printer to work very well on the computer are installed. There is always a CD with drivers, but if you do not have a CD drive on your device, you can easily download your printer’s drivers online. Given below are the steps to help you with downloading the driver for your printer online.
- Visit the support page of the Canon website. This page allows you to download drivers, software, and even the firmware updates for your device. You can download the driver via two methods via the product model or by entering the product type.
Downloading via product model
- Go to official canon website or use ij.start.canon to go to that web module.
- If you are downloading the driver via the product model, first you will have to enter the compatible operating system. In most cases, the website will, by default, recognize the operating system along with the version you are using. You can choose between various operating systems, including Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.
- Once you have selected the compatible operating system, you can select the type you want to download. The options available are software, drivers, and firmware. Here we are talking about drivers, so select drivers.
- Next, you will have to select the driver language, which will depend on your native region, or select the list’s language.
- You will have to enter the model number of the printer you are using. You can search from it or select from the given names in the list. Click on the model, and you will be headed to the driver’s page. Download all the drivers and install them on your system.
By Product Type
- When selecting the option to download the drivers using the product type, you will first have to select the product range from the drop-down list options. We are searching for printer drivers, so select the ‘printing option’ from the list.
- Next, you will have to select the product category. You will be given various options, among which you will have to select. You will see some options in the drop-down list: inkjet printer, mobile printer, laser printer, Cable ID printer, etc.
- Upon selecting the product category, you will be asked to select the product series to which your product belongs.
- After you have successfully followed the given above three steps, click on Search. You will then see the models as per your search criteria. Click on the model of your printer.
- Upon clicking the printer’s model, you will be headed to a new page to show you all the printer drivers available to download. Click on them, and install them on your computer.
Installing The Driver And Setting Up Printer
Once you have downloaded the drivers, it’s time to set it up with your device. You will have to install the drivers and set it up to get your printer started. This can be done with two methods, wireless and wired methods.
Wired Method For Windows
- The very first step is to turn off the printer. If you are using some old model computer, you will not have to download the driver, and you can directly use the driver CD that is given with the printer.
- Once you have turned off your printer, click start with installing the driver. Use CD or the downloaded driver to install. Run the installation program on your device.
- Now select the place of residence, and click on next.
- There will be few options appearing next, such as easy install, custom install, and exit. Click on easy install. And then on the next screen appearing, click on install.
- Then on the next page, from the options appearing, select ‘Use the printer on the network,’ and then click Next.
- Then a User License Agreement will appear on the next screen. After you have successfully read the agreement, click on yes.
- Make sure you have all the cables with you. This step will require connecting the printer with the cable. Make sure you have a USB and LAN cable with you. Now connect your computer to the printer with the USB cable.
- Next, you will have to turn on the printer and wait for the computer to recognize the printer you are setting up. When your computer recognizes the printer, a message will appear on the setup screen.
- Then a Setup preparation screen will appear; continue with it only if the preparation is complete.
- Next, you will have to connect your printer to your network device with the LAN cable.
- Follow this step when the option to connect the printer to the network device appears. And once you have connected your printer via the LAN cable, click on Yes.
- Once the setup is completed, remove the USB cable from both your computer and your printer.
- Next will appear the Extended survey program, which you can install if you wish to or exit the installation.
- Once the setup completes, exit the setup.
Wired Method For Mac OS
- For connecting your printer to your Mac device via the wired method, you will first have to turn on the printer connect your devices with a USB cable.
- Next, insert the CD to install the driver, or you can also use the downloaded driver, which you can download from the above-given method.
- Once you open up the file, you will be asked to enter the name and password as the administrator to continue ahead.
- Setup wizard will ask you to select your place of residence and click next.
- Now click on Easy Install to continue with the installation process of the software.
- You will be next shown the user agreement license. Once you have read it, you can click on ‘yes,’ and you will be headed to the next screen.
- Now the main setup screen appears, which is the start setup dialog box. Click on execute to begin the setup process.
- Once you are done with all of it, click on the restart, and your computer will restart.
- Next, a screen, which is the printer head alignment screen, will appear once your computer has successfully been restarted.
- Ensure you follow all the important instructions given, such as loading paper, not opening the top cover, etc.
- Once you have done all of that, an extended survey program screen will appear, which you can install if you wish to or continue without that.
- Click on the exit button once the installation process is completed.
- Now on the Canon Network tool screen, select the LAN connection method. And then click on, OK.
- In the next screen that appears, select the setup in the menu, select the series of the printer you are using, and then next.
- Now connect the printer to your router via the LAN cable, and then continue.
- Complete the setup and then remove the USB cable once the setup is completed.
- The very first step to installing the driver via the wireless method is to set up the connection. First of all, you will have to press down the Wi-Fi button on the printer till you see the Alarm light flashing two times. Then you can release the Wi-Fi button after the second flash appears. The Wi-Fi light should flash quickly, and the power light should flash a green light.
- Install the software on your computer. Make sure that no application is running before you continue with the installation process. Now you will have to log in to the administrator account of your Windows system. For the older version of devices that supports CD ROM, you can directly install the software with CD, or you can download the drivers and software from the given above method and install it on your system.
- Once you run the installation program, an installation wizard will appear on the screen.
- Click on next for what it asks for.
- Now that you are using the wireless method click on wireless connection on the next screen that appears. Next, click on the cable-less setup on the next screen appears.
- You will also be asked to install the .NET framework and click on yes.
- You will be next shown a list of all the installation software and check all the software you need to install. And then click on next.
- Now the setup completion dialog box will appear. Click on complete, and you are good to go.
- For an extended survey program, you can click on not agree not to install it and click on agree to install it.
- Next, the ‘test printer’ screen will appear with which you can test the fine work. Click on execute to test. Next, click on exit installation once the installation process has been completed.
Wireless Method For Mac OS
- First, download all the required drivers and all the software required for setting up the printer to the Mac device.
- Once the setup file is download, double click on it to get started. Click on next for the dialog box that appears.
- Now you will have to enter the administrator’s name and password. Then click on Install Helper.
- Now on the next screen that appears, click on the wireless connection. Next, you will be asked to start the setup. Click on Connect to the network to continue.
- Now click on cableless setup amongst the given options on the next screen.
- Next, select all the software that is available on the given list. Click on next.
- Now click on add printer, and then next.
- A new screen will appear showing the printer name, the kind of network, and click on add.
- Now a new screen will appear with setup complete dialog box. Click on next, and you are good to go.
- Extended survey program dialog box will appear next on the screen, and upon clicking the ‘Agree’ button, it will be installed to your computer, and upon clicking the ‘do not agree’ option, it will not be installed.
- Next, the test printer screen will appear to ensure the printer is working fine. Once the installation process is done, click on exit, and the installation wizard will be closed.
How To Connect Your Canon Printer To Wi-Fi?
Following the steps will help you to connect your Canon printer to Wi-Fi.
Connecting Via The WPS method
- To connect your printer to Wi-Fi via the WPS method, you need to turn on your printer and press the WPS button on your Wi-Fi router to turn it on. Note that this method will only work if your router does have a WPS button, and your printer also supports WPS connectivity.
- Now press the Wi-Fi button from the home screen of your printer.
- Now from the screen that appears, select the LAN wireless setup option and then continue. After this step, your printer will search from the access point of your Wi-Fi.
- Next, select your Wi-Fi.
- Now you will have to set up the WPA key from the success point option. Once done,
- click on, OK.
- The connection will be established, and your Canon printer will be connected to the Wi-Fi.
Connecting via the standard method to the Windows PC
- First, you will need to establish a connection between the Canon printer and the wireless network settings.
- Next, download the printer driver and install them as per the given above instruction.
- Install the driver and software.
- Go to the control panel, and open up the devices and printers option.
- From the top bar, click on the ‘Add printer’ option to add your printer successfully.
- Next, a list of printers available will appear on the window that opens up, searches for your printer, and clicks on next.
- Now your printer is connected to the Wi-Fi network.
Connecting via the standard method to the Mac OS
- First of all, connect your Canon printer to the wireless network.
- After that, download and install all the required drivers for our Mac device.
- Now open up the Apple menu and then click on system and preference from the list that appears.
- Search for the option ‘Printers and scanners’ and open it.
- Now on the window that opens up, you will have to click on the ‘+’ sign, which will enable you to add a printer. Then select your printer which you want to add and connect with Wi-Fi to your mac device.
How To Connect Canon Printer To Mac Computer?
If you are having a mac computer and finding it difficult to connect your Canon computer to
your Mac the device, then you can use the steps given below to get started.
- To establish the connection between your Mac computer and your Canon printer, first, you will have to connect your Mac computer and your printer via the USB cable.
- Now open the Apple menu, and click on choices, and then select print and fax. Now click on the ‘printing’ tab.
- Now the printer web browser window will be open. This window will show you two choices: the Ip printers and your computer’s second default web browser. Click on the default web browser. A new window will be open up, showing you a list of all the printers. Here you will have to select the model of your printer to continue.
- Once you have selected the printer, the printer will start establishing a connection with the Mac computer. Then pick on contribute to finishing the linking.
Apple allows printing via the feature known as Airprint. Once successfully connected your printer to your Mac computer, you can use this feature to print the files from it. This makes it easier for one to print the files easily from the phone as well. With AirPrint, you can easily print the file from within by clicking on the ‘file’ option on the top bar and then on ‘print.’
Now if anything fails just uninstall the canon printer & go to canon.com/ijsetup to download the canon driver.
These were some methods with which you can easily download the drivers and install the required software for connecting your Canon printer to your computer. If you follow this guide appropriately, this will help connect your printer to your computer, be it Windows or Mac.